SERBA DINAMIK SDN BHD (SDSB) is a company dedicated in designing and conducting quality training and consultancy packages for its potential clients.
SDSB combines a pool of Malaysian Consultants with local and international experience in their respective specialised field. We believe that effective training and consultancy programmes have to be designed base on actual real field experience or real life experience with reference to recognise international standards.
SDSB has over the years conducted numerous public courses all around in Malaysia and has also conducted in-house tailored courses for PETRONAS OPUs namely for Petronas Gas Berhad, Vinyl Chloride Malaysia , MTBE, PMLSB, PPMSB, PFKSB, ABF Sdn. Bhd and those from Chemical and Power Plants.
Why This kind of Approach is Preferred?
Industrial training in Malaysia has been constantly under review since the presence of Oil & Gas, Chemical and Power Plants. However, there is no specific training provider providing comprehensive training in all the relevant fields. Industrial training in Malaysia normally occurs in bit and pieces and when needs warrant. Industry may allocate a separate dedicated training time for Health Safety and Environment (HSE), Operational tasks, Rotating Equipment (RE), process controls, and other practical or machinery operating theories.
Rotating machinery is employed today in a wide variety of industrial applications. This proposed training with specialization in Rotating Machinery Engineering and Maintenance Management emphasizes on subjects of particular interest to major user in oil and gas, power and process industries; to include topics such as prime movers and motor driven equipment, selection, project planning, commissioning, operations and management of power system as a comprehensive knowledge required training in the industries today. The proposed training is of “true” relevance to those involved in these industries.
After years of observations and after achieving comfortable confidence from our clients, we feel that our proposed initiative containing the “CUSTOMISED” “and specially tailored” syllabus should be well accepted as our objective is to generate competent resources or “ready to be used resources to industries.
Well verse on HSE is an integral part of condition that qualified employees to work in these fields. Therefore, a thorough HSE subjects will be part of the syllabus during the course of training. Student may have opportunity to enhance their HSE qualification by taking specific examination on HSE that will come handy to their trade skill.
The primary objective is to help and accelerate the process of developing the professional and individual to be certified competent specialist and recognized locally and internationally. Those graduated from this specialise training be employed and accepted by maintenance service provider & relevant industry, thus will benefit the nation as a whole.
With the continuing expansion of the application of rotating machinery, qualified and competent personnel (specialist) are required by the increasing large numbers of users. This training is an important and viable approach in the formation of specialists for these industries.
An insight into the varied aspects of machinery maintenance and operation will be benefitted from experienced members of staff and other groups who have a wide experience in the field. Close management collaboration and rapport with the industries and other research and academic establishments (USM, UM etc) ensures that this training maintain its relevance in the constantly evolving industrial requirements and thus ensure as the choiced resource to these establishment (Oil and Gas, chemical and Power Plants etc)
Integrating Occupational Safety and Health Into This Program
The topics (6 broad topics) below will be incorporated into this program and the proficiency on these topics is a mandatory requirement in order to attain full certification & competence:
- Understanding risks
- Finding hazards
- Making jobs safer
- Dealing with emergencies
- Knowing your rights
- Taking action
The Training/ Course
A thorough grounding is provided in the operations of different types of rotating machinery for oil and Gas and other industrial applications. The teaching program, are based on the established gas turbines, compressors, pumps and various relevant static equipment commonly used in the industries. Final assessment will be weighted equally between the assessed classroom training, practical hands-on assessment and thesis.
Typical lecture/ classroom practical program mainframe are;
- HSE Management
- Mechanical Engineering Skills Foundation Certificate Syllabus (adopting City &Guilds international 3528 series
- Plant Maintenance Skills Proficiency Certificate Syllabus (adopting City & Guild 3529 Series
- Steam turbine
- Pump and valves
- Gas Turbine Applications
- Condition Monitoring (Machinery Vibration Analysis)/Diagnosis
- Bearings and Bearing Failures
There are three identified groups that we have concluded to be the main appropriate attendee for this vocational program.
- Graduated Engineers ( with qualification but without field experience)
- Skilled workers in specific field (without engineering qualification with experience)
- SPM school leavers, Vocational and Polytechnic School Leavers
As the majority of our employees and specialists came from Oil and Gas companies, we have identified the actual needs in these industries that enable us to formulate the necessary syllabus for the training modules. Definitely this ensure the training proposal will enhance the competencies of those graduated from the course and beneficiate the industry too.
The collaborations with City & Guilds ensure student can be awarded with a recognized International certification, and later he/she can pursue to sit for City & Guilds International Vocational Diploma (IVQ) in Oil and Gas by Assessment process.
Beside the benefit of HSE, presently there is no training providers; universities or other industrial institution that adopt outreach learning program twinning with any recognized international body such as this program.
The Specialist Training Program
This Specialist Training Program is divided into two entries category
- Package for Technical Graduates who are without Experience
Certified Competent Rotating Equipment Specialist
Certified Boiler /Steam Engineer (future)
Certified Project Manager and Planner (future)
- Proposed Competency package for non-graduates
Certified Competence Maintenance Specialist (RE)
Certified Competence Maintenance Specialist (Static) – future
The training involves a 9-11 months (estimated) training contract with SDSB. During the training all trainees must complete logbooks relevant to the relevant practice areas they are exposed to. The logbooks detail a range of aspects of individual practice areas relevant to the work of a trainee. There is no requirement for a trainee to ‘tick off’ each and every area. Rather, they are intended as a tool to be used by trainers in discussing progress with trainees to identify where a trainee is lacking experience and to plan the next quarter’s work for the trainee. These planning sessions take place at quarterly meetings, where the trainer and trainee are required to discuss the trainee’s work, review performance and set objectives. This is designed to be a quarterly ‘mini appraisal’. Arising from this meeting, trainer and trainee complete a quarterly performance review which is forwarded to the SDSB for monitoring.
These training programs focus on core competency. Competency Base Training specifically focus on the primary objectives i.e. to fill the demand and expanding needs of the industries & service by providing competency that will basically contribute to the development of human capital. Training programs will be conducted using the following methodology:
- Classroom Tutorial & field trip
- Practical Hands on
- Self Pace studies & Work Book
- Discusses Learning
- Role Playing
This specialise program will definitely beneficial all the trainees who aim to adopt this field as their career.
Exposure & Work Placement
Through our work placement during the program, attendees’ gain are as such:
- Work placement can contribute to a learning program in a number of different ways.
- The opportunity for student to build contact with employees in the industries that may lead to offers of employment.
- Exposure to the culture of workplace and the industry sector.
- Access to equipment & facilities that may not be available during classroom training (turbine/ compressor / generator / etc)
- Opportunities to practice and refine skills learned in a learning setting.
- Opportunities to deal with client work with others and respond to the contingencies that arise in daily workplace operators.
- A learning resource for student to identify issues, and source information and conduct projects that are linked back into classroom based learning.
- Trainee will be exposed to working environment of Gas Processing Plant, Chemical Plant, Power Plant and other manufacturing plant within Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Trainee will also have many chances to experience working with SDSB in Middle East (ADGAS, QATAR Gas and many other processing plant globally). This is based on our current frequency being awarded with RE maintenance contract there. Air passage and allowances will be provided.
- Opportunity to work along side with other vendor expert such as the Woodgroup.
Earn and Learn Concept
- Absorbed (during the course of training) into Serba Dinamik work force during execution of any contract works.
- Trainee will be paid accordingly and enjoying all other allowances similar to SDSB employees during the course of contract or work execution. Apparel will be provided for free (buy loaned)
- Trainee will be invited to join Serba Dinamik on permanent or contract basis. This is subject to the availability of vacancy.
- Opportunity to be called for as resource for any contract work secured by Serba Dinamik.
- Chances to be employed by local contractor or other oil & gas establishment will be greater.
Although trainees may be considered for admission as a specialist worker after one year of training, they still need to learn more in order to enhance their skill. Hands on practicing, sharing experiences with others and capability to conduct analysis can be the existing elements to gain confidence from client and collegues.
- Paka, Terengganu (City & Guilds approved centre no 842103)
Serba Dinamik has a Service Centre and training centre (originally for SDSB employees) set up in Paka which is recognized as an Integrated Petrochemical Complex for Petronas group of companies as well as the hub for the PSC contractors and partners. Actual jobs secured by the company consist of workshop based maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) or actual field services in live plants or platforms and these jobs will be the actual environment exposed to student during training.
The company’s active involvement through short and long term contracts open up a privileged avenue for participants of this program to have real feel time of ‘hands on’ experience on the theory that they have undergo with the respective instructor.
Besides the Oil and Gas related plants, Paka is also known for its power generation activities which again required the expertise of what this program intended to achieve in the development of human capital from the engineering perspective. Establishment of power plants are owned and managed by Tenaga National Berhad and YTL Power Generation Sdn Bhd to name a few.
- Bintulu, Sarawak (City & Guilds approved centre no 842104)
Bintulu has position itself dominantly in Sarawak as the Oil and Gas hub with more focus on the Gas processing and production activities. For instant Malaysia LNG plant comprising of 8 modules is consider as the largest LNG producing facilities at ‘one location’ in the world. Such facilities open up a fantastic opportunity to practice ‘hands on’ work on the equipment based on what the theories say in the classroom session. The company has short and long-term service agreement with Malaysia LNG thus ensure the training elaborated above can be made possible.
Besides MLNG, Bintulu also housed power generation plants, fertilizer and distillate processing plants all of which are available as exposure for the different environment in the industries thus widen the scope of application of the theories learned.
Future development plans of increasing the output of gas related activities such as input of gas from Kikeh Platform pipe through the Kimanis Pipeline Project will further strengthen the position of Bintulu as a preferred location for training and career opportunities.
Of course, to be eligible to participate in this program, applicant needs to complete an application form where personal details and existing qualifications and experiences need to be furnished. Participant must be in good physical and health condition. It is necessary for participant to go through medical examination prior to approval. This is necessary as participant will be required to travel and performing hands on training elsewhere outside Malaysia. Participant must be free from any criminal record and posses own International Passport. Thus, participant is subjected to Police screening.
Once undergone the necessary Induction Training, participants will proceed to be trained in basic Engineering Skills as captured in the City and Guilds 3528 syllabus. This syllabus covered the followings subjects, in addition to HSE related topics.
- Health Safety & Environmental Management (HSE)
- Hand Tools (theory and practical)
- Terminology of Screw Threads, usage and types.
- Precision Measuring instruments (micro meter, Vernier Caliper and etc) how these instruments works i.e, their working principles.
- Brief Metallurgy
- Fits and Limits
- Taps and Dies
- Heat Treatment
- And various theory and practical hands-on.
- CERTIFIED COMPETENT ROTATING EQUIPMENT (RE) SPECIALIST
Designed for Technical School Graduates, University Graduates (Engineering), personnel
employed in engineering disciplines.
Duration : 11 months RM 15,000.00
- CERTIFIED COMPETENT ROTATING EQUIPMENT (RE) MAINTENANCE SPECIALIST.
Designed for SPM holders and employees in maintenance disciplines.
Duration : 9 months RM 13,000.00.
The fees is INCLUSIVE for:
- Training fees
- Practical and Training Materials
- Mobilisation to worksites (EXCLUDING fees for International Passport), accommodation & transportation (for worksites on field training only)
- Group Insurance
- Apparels (on loan basis)
- Examination fees for City and Guilds programs (1st sitting only. Subsequent repeats will be borne by participants)
Two (2) splits payment of which 50% is to be made upon acceptance of participant into the program and the remaining 50% to be paid after the completion of 5-6 months training period..
Note: The program is expected to start in July 2008.
Guarantee (Learn and Earn Program)
SDSB guaranteed that participant deployed to any project site for practical hands-on training shall be paid for at least RM6/hour for a maximum duration of 10 hours per day for an estimated 14 days per project. It is expected that participant will be involved in at least 3-4 project during the course of training.
- Local Project site
RM 6 x 10 hrs x 14 days x 4 projects * = RM 3,360.00 (excluding overtime allowance) per project. * Expected hands-on practical (at project site).
- Overseas Project Site (Qatar Gas/ AdGas and etc)
RM 6 x 10 x 21 days + (RM 30 allowance/day x 21 days)
RM1260.00 + 630.00 = RM 1890.00 / project (expected 2 projects ) RM 3,780.00.
Note: The RM 6.00 / hour is minimum wage, but may be reviewed depending on participant achievement or performance.